Tall & Skinny

By: Gustav Hoiland

May 21 2010

Category: ocean travel, self portrait

Leave a comment

Aperture:f/8
Focal Length:50mm
ISO:100
Shutter:1/0 sec
Camera:NIKON D80

Dark Skinned

Quick post on a self portrait, which I ever so quickly grabbed about 20% of (leaving the other 80% of the composition to the hounds, really). This is again from when I was on the boat. During this time in which I spent a great deal of time learning how to use Photoshop, Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw, I came to really like this super darkened skin look. Way beyond tan. I was going for deep dark browns with some hints of red, especially in the cheeks.

I particularly like what I’m wearing here. First, that hat. I loved that hat. Loved it dearly for the many hundreds of days I wore it. A straight up brown Carhartt stocking cap. It had since become even more worn out than it was pictured here, and sadly lost it. The flannel on the other hand. Why by golly I was wearing that today! It’s getting pretty scrappy, but I’ve begun wearing it inside out which has given it new life (the fabric is un-faded, less worn, and it’s especially stylish when buttoned up given the lining).

What I’m getting at here is the sentimental value contained within photos of yourself. Something I’ve been trying to figure out ways to tap into commercially. The idea of photographing people with their favorite possessions, things that pass with time (a bicycle, a pet, a hat, certain glasses etc…). The photo looks entirely normal the day its shot. It’s just you and whatever you’re wearing/whatever prop you have. But 5 years down the road, 10 years down the road, it’s more than just a younger face. Those clothes I’m wearing remind me of the time of my life that I diligently wore them. I suppose all photographs of friends/family/casual snapshots like that increase in (sentimental) value over time, but… I dunno, there’s just something special about this one for me. This was also the start of my becoming serious with photography and modifications in post, which is evident to me in the style that I really liked at the time.

While I did get some sun today, I assure you I haven’t tanned to this extreme.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: